Saturday, February 19, 2011

My First Blog

Hi Everyone, my name is Maria and I am preparing to launch my home-based cupcake business in the next few months.  I have dreamed of this for many many years and finally decided there is no time like the present to embark on this exciting adventure.  I've always loved sweets! I've especially loved eating them but in the last 10 years I have learned that I get more satisfaction from preparing them and sharing them with loved ones.  My love for baking started immediately after I got engaged and started planning my wedding.  I became Martha Stewart OBSESSED.  Not only did she teach me how to bake properly (without the help of Duncan Hines) but I also learned how to cook, craft, decorate... Everything Martha did, I copied!  The obsession only amplified exponentially after I got married.  After a couple of years the Martha phase passed but the love for baking stuck with me.  Since then I've learned to take tried and true recipes and adjust them with personal touches.  I've baked a variety of desserts through the years including cakes, cupcakes, fudge, cookies, muffins, and cheesecakes just to name a few.  I even enjoy making homemade ice cream.  Once a week I make dough from scratch and make it into pizza, calzones, or foccacia- these are my husband's favorites! Above all, desserts are definitely my favorite, especially treats that don't need utensils, specifically cupcakes and cookies. 
I am certainly learning quickly that getting this business off the ground is a major commitment. Since I decided to pursue this seriously just a few weeks ago, I have dedicated nearly every waking moment from the time I get home from work around 7pm to the time I sleep and nearly all hours of the weekend just researching the cupcake industry online. I have looked at every Orange County cupcake business with a website and their associated blogger sites and reviews.  I'm learning what makes them tick, what makes them stand out, what they offer, how they offer it, prices, galleries, history, etc...  I've also read up on cupcake blogs to find out what's the latest cupcake buzz, where the interest of the public lies, and really just have vast this cupcake empire really is.  I've researched bakery supply websites for the best packaging options as well as decorating and baking equipment.  I also have been searching You Tube for cupcake decorating instructions and tips - I have a lot of knowledge on this subject but definitely need to practice more to perfect my skills and hone in on a personal touch to my cupcakes.
I must say I always knew cupcakes has climbed in popularity over the last few years but I didn't realize just how saturated this market is and what it takes for a new business to stand out, let alone for one that's been around a while to stay on top.  I've learned about some great shops that really seem to be well respected and have a strong following - my hats off to them for their success and I can only hope there is room at the top for me.
I have been brainstorming for weeks as to what I can do to stand out, look unique, and get noticed.  I know I must get my business name and platform out there and create my own buzz. I was never much of a fan of social networks or blogging sites but I know that in this day and age, this is the best and strongest way to promote your business and gain recognition.  I have never blogged before in my life and I never almost never check my Facebook page.  But that all has to change!   I have to reach out to my peers and potential customers and get to know them, what they like, where they're at, what's hot and what's not. The web will be key to that.
How did I name my business?  I had been trying to come up with something unique and used the internet as a reference guide. Every name I could possibly think of was taken in some form or several.  Any names with love, luv, sweet, sugar, bliss, couture, frost... were taken and then some.  I even thought of a play on words like "Let them eat Cupcakes" or "For the Love of Sugar" - taken!  So I came to the realization that the most unique names seem to be ones with a name in them, but of course Maria's Cupcakes is taken since Maria is a super common name.  So I thought of what I love more than anything (aside from my hubby of course) and landed on the name RooneyGirl BakeShop, thanks to my 3 year old Boston Terrier Rooney! We always call her RooneyGirl so this turned out to be the most perfect name. 
I've really enjoyed writing my very first blog and hope you have enjoyed reading it. I'm going to do my best to blog atleast once a week and I'll start incorporating photos of my cupcake creations as I continue to perfect my craft.  I hope you'll join me as a anxiously get this company off the ground.  Any words of support, encouragement or constructive criticism is always welcome.  Be on the look out for my website and thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment