Thursday, March 17, 2011

St. Patrick's Day 2011

In the spirit of St. Patty's Day, I definitely wanted to make some cupcakes containing some sort of green element.  I think I found two of my favorite flavors to date! 
First off, I have been wanting to make a key lime pie inspired cupcake for some time and knowing that St. Patrick's day was coming, I waited very patiently to try this flavor out.  I made a lime coconut cupcake.  Lime juice and zest were added to a white cake batter along with sweetened coconut flakes.  I made a graham cracker crust for this as well (same as I did for the s'mores last week) because I really love the crunchy texture it provides. 

Once baked and cooled, I squeezed lime curd into the center of the cupcake until I saw the cake puff up alittle, probably overfilled but that's ok.  I also made a second attempt to make a meringue buttercream. This time I tried the italian meringue method where you boil sugar until about 250 degrees and then stream it into egg whites while beating on high speed until stiff glossy peaks. The part where I seem to have difficulty is adding in the butter.  Perhaps the meringue was still too warm or the butter softened up too much but it resulted in a very loose and thin buttercream. I added several cups of confectioner's sugar (probably about 6 cups) and just turned it into a traditional buttercream (with the exception of the egg white).  I also added some meringue powder because I often find that I don't make my frosting thick or stiff enough to hold a swirl so I have found the meringue powder helps a great deal. I flavored the buttercream with vanilla, lime juice, and lime zest.  I also coated the frosting in coconut flakes, some of which I died green for the holiday.  I have to say this was the MOST DELICIOUS cupcake I have EVER made!  I don't mean to toot my own horn but I was so happy with how well it turned and was kind of shocked too. I must say, I think the cake was a little too dense (you know me, I strive for light, velvety, moist) so I will probably increase the fat in the cake somehow.  But overall, coconut and lime complement each other so well and this combination is something all must try. I brought the left overs to work the next day and everyone loved them. Some even said they were reluctant to try them because they are not fans of either lime or coconut but they thought the combination of flavors was truly complimentary and yummy.  I am so very happy about this flavor and it will definitely be offered through my website RooneyGirlBakeShop.com.
Second flavor of the week was chocolate mint.  I made a rich chocolate batter and added finely chopped fresh mint as well as a little mint extract. 
 Once baked and out of the oven, a heavenly aroma of mint permeated the air and I couldn't help but to just share one right out of the oven.  It reminded me of a girlscout thin mint cookie or Andes mints - very rich but not overwhelming in mint.  I am consistently happy with every chocolate cupcake I have tested thus far- devil's food, s'mores, and now chocolate mint!  I think its very hard to get chocolate wrong...
While cooling, I made a mint sugar syrup and once cooled I added it to the other half of the meringue buttercream that I used on the lime coconut (I divided the frosting into two parts before adding flavors).  I also added additional powdered sugar because the syrup thinned out the frosting a bit.  I set a small portion aside and dyed it green and piped pretty swirls onto the delectable mint chocolate cupcakes. Divine. This will also be a offered on my menu - a truly classic combination!

I mentioned that this was my second attempt at a meringue buttercream.  The first time was a few weeks ago and I tried the Swiss method which calls for heating egg whites and sugar over a double boiler until about 160 degrees or until you rub the egg/sugar mixture between your fingers and its smooth, not grainy.  Then you whisk the mixture to stiff glossy peaks and add the room temperature butter.  The buttercream came together well and had a very light flavor but I refrigerated it immediately because I was planning on using it later that night. I used it on some cupcakes later that evening and when my husband and I took our eager bites into the dessert, we were shocked by the taste of - it was as if we just took a stick of butter out of the fridge and just started noshing on it. I was not happy with it. I really should have taken it out of the fridge sooner and let it come to room temperature and whip it again.  I will definitely try both meringue buttercreams again as both seem to have very good reviews on line and are the go to frostings for many bakers.
All in all, a very successful testing day and definitely two flavors I think will be very well received by my future customers.

No comments:

Post a Comment