Sunday, January 11, 2015

Carousel Cake



It's been ages since I've posted and I really am hoping I can make some time to share my projects with you this year so I made a New Years Resolution to make an effort to post to my blog.

2015 started off with a bang!  I loved creating my first cake of the year.  My client requested a soft pink cake with a horse to celebrate her daughter's 100 days. She loved a lace and ruffled cake from my portfolio and wanted something similar. 

That made it easy for me because that was one of my most favorite cakes of 2014.  So I changed up the ruffles a little bit and did striped textured ruffles.

For the middle tier I created an eyelet lace pattern. I used the wax paper transfer method to apply it to the middle tier - helped keep in in place so the lace pattern wouldn't distort.  For the top tier, my wonderful husband created the name plaque on edible frosting paper for me. The floral swag was created from the flower mold by 1st Impressions. 

Now for the topper!  This was a wee bit stressful because it was first for me and I wasn't sure it was going to work. The top is a half sterene sphere covered with fondant.  Underneath, I poked 5 holes with a toothpick and inserted dried butterflies with dental floss - I hot glued them into the holes and they stayed just fine!  The horse is a gorgeous mold by 1st Impressions which I made several days ahead so it can dry very well. I glued it to the pole (made of a long chopstick covered in fondant) using isomalt (makes a great "glue").




 I was very pleased with the end result and the client was too!   


No comments:

Post a Comment