Sunday, May 13, 2012

Lego Birthday Cake for Twins

My client was having a birthday party for her twin boys turning 8 and ordered a cake with a lego theme. She pretty much gave me creative control and asked that I just make sure to incorporate green, one of her son's favorite colors.  My mind immediately started racing with ideas. I wanted the cake to look as if it was built with legos.  I made a two tiered square cake. I covered the bottom tier with alternating rectangles of red, blue, green, and yellow to resemble lego blocks. Once I reached the top of the tier, I placed fondant molded blocks of legos on top.  I wanted the top tier to resemble a jumbo lego block so I placed 4 fondant circles on top of the 6" square tier.  For the Happy Birthday message and the boy's name, I wanted to emulate the LEGO logo complete with the white letters and black and yellow outlines.  I printed the lego font and used it as a template to create the letters. I learned this from a you tube tutorial I saw.  I covered the board with green fondant and pressed it with an actual green lego board so that the impression would be perfect.  Finally, since this was for twin boys, I just had to have two lego boys celebrating on top of the cake. They were hand sculpted out of fondant and I think they came out just adorably. 

The client, her sons, and the guests just loved the cake. I never get tired of seeing kids' amazement when I deliver the cake - it just reaffirms how much I love to do this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment